PenderBlog From The Pender Islands Of Canada

April 21, 2010

Looking back…

Filed under: Ramblings — Jocko @ 7:26 pm

From:  “The Pender Palate – Tastes and flavours from our favourite island“, Compiled and written by Georgina Montgomery and Andrea Spalding.  (Available for sale online or loan from the Pender Island Public Library)

img781.jpg

A Pender librarian recently brought The Pender Palate to my attention as a great little book.  Published in 1992 to raise money for the Pender Island Play Group, it is organized by the four seasons, with recipes from locals to fit the time of year.  Little tidbits of Pender history, activities and facts are interspersed throughout.  A handy spiral binding makes this compact book a perfect addition to any kitchen.  Forget about Googling for these practical recipes, they’re only in the book.  Here is a history tidbit from the book:

Pender appears as “Isla de San Euevio” on an early chart of the Pacific Northwest, an area surveyed by the Spanish in the 1790’s.  However, Spanish naval officer Pantoja, in charge of the survey ship Santa Saturnina, is also reported to have named the island “Isla de Sayas” in 1791.  Although Pender today has little Spanish nomenclature itself, it is surrounded by other islands and waterways with names such as Saturna, Galiano, San Juan, Sucia, Haro and Juan de Fuca, reminders of this period in its history.

It was the British, nearly 70 years after the Spanish had their tour, who gave Pender its present name.  Captain Richards of the Royal Navy named the island in 1859 (one year after B.C. became a province) after Daniel Pender, second master aboard H.M. survey vessel Plumper.  Daniel Pender went on to become master of the Plumper and then of the Hecate, and in 1863 was placed in command of the Beaver, hired from the Hudson Bay’s Company for more survey work of coastal waters.

The first white settlers on Pender arrived in the 1870’s, and many island features still bear their names.  Hope Bay is called after David Hope, who originally owned about half of North Pender.  Port Washington and Grimmer Bay are named after Washington Grimmer, as is Grimmer Road.  Watch, too, for Hamilton Beach, Spalding Road, Auchterlonie Point, Corbett House and Hoosen Road.  Also, pick up a copy of A Gulf Islands Patchwork – there are two volumes – written by the Gulf Islands Branch of the B.C. Historical Association.  These books contain some Wonderful stories about the early settlers on Pender.

Why not visit the Pender Museum for more local history.

No Comments »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Powered by WordPress